Monday, March 07, 2011

Preserving the Harvest


Today I spent the morning cutting up the the tomatoes and beans and added onion and capsicum and cooked it all up. These will go into the freezer to be used in the slow cooker with meat from our paddocks. 
I also got a bag of home grown apples from my father in law and one from my mother in law. I added the apples from my tree and I now have 6 containers in the freezer waiting to be made in apple crumble during winter.
So I have 6 main meals and 6 desserts. The only things not from home will be the rice served as a side dish and the flour, sugar, coconut and butter for the crumble.
Not bad I think.
I just hope we dont have anymore freezer problems, when the spare fridge whent it took alot of frozen produce with it.
I hate wasting all that hard work.
see ya

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Looks good! I know what you mean about losing the freezer - mine got the breaker stopped and about a week later we noticed it - man, it was all like stinky soup! Wishing you the best of luck getting everything put up! It's always so good to eat the Summer goodies - in the Winter!

Deb said...

My freezer is chock a block at the moment and I am looking at buying a second freezer so I can fit in more meals like that.

Tania said...

yum, sounds delightful...

Apple crumble, haven't had that in ages...

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

We freeze a lot of our apples every fall. They do very well!

Gill - That British Woman said...

it feels good doesn't it to have all that food going into the freezer?

Gill